And just like *THAT*.....

I had my last meeting with my mentor today.

But we aren't done.  I'm not.  The program still has days left.  My last playtest associated with these 12 weeks is on Sunday. IT'S. NOT. OVER. DAMN. IT!

But who am I kidding?  It's done.  I may have experiences in the next 5 days that warrant one last post after this, but I am working on the assumption that this is the end.

And where am I?

Well, in a certain respect, ten days ago I tossed out the game I've been working on throughout this.

Or did I just start designing a game based upon the one I originally started with?

The fact is that somewhere around (it's still substantially TBD) 75% of the materials going into the new game are either the exact same components as what existed before, or a direct descendant thereof. But that ignores the fact that 75% of what did exist has been jettisoned.

My mentor, Jonathan - have I used his name before? I don't think so.... has been great. He's had a fraught few months - I won't elucidate upon his personal life, but he has had a ride, and I am grateful that he has stuck it through with me.

Mostly I used him as an accountability marker and a sounding board. I'd set ambitious goals weekly and, with one exception - conveniently and entirely incidentally timed with the only curve ball in his life that caused him to cancel a meeting (and it was totally justifiable - FWIW) - I met those benchmarks.  He would point me at new ideas or bits of wisdom - or Protospiel (dang, that was a weekend!) - and encourage me where and when I needed it, or talk me down if necessary, or talk frank sense if it came to it (once - it had to happen once.) And he has made it clear that while the mentorship is over, we are not done mining this relationship for gold.

I am exhausted. I worked my ass off.  My family endured (willingly, but provisional to it being only 3 months of intense work). And I am willing to admit that I have been looking forward to taking my foot off the pedal for weeks.  But I do not regret it.  When faced with an opportunity like this, how could I not wring that vine for every drop of nectar I could get out? But that's me. That's how I deal with my life and my passions. I have a friend whose relationship with the program and his mentor has been far more casual and relaxed, and I am not surprised at all. That is him. That is how he rolls.

If, you are by any chance, reading this and wondering if you should enroll, I heartily recommend it. Don't think you have to be at a particular place in your journey, or that you need to keep up a particular pace. I can't even recommend trying to keep up a rigorous pace - unless you have a very particular pathological mind-set like mine that won't allow you to do otherwise. But let's face it, I am close to burn out - for now. But you set your pace. Your mentor isn't a drill sergeant or a teacher who will grade you. They are a facilitator. A guide. Probably a friend before it's all done. And they are a gift that you can use to whatever degree you can mutually make fit.  Do it.  What have you got to lose? I assure you it's less than you probably think. What have you got to gain? Well, that is up to you to create.

And with that...

Comments