Wrapping up...

This was originally an update post, but with my crazy schedule, it has turned into a wrapup post instead!

So where am I on my goals that I set at the beginning of the program?

Editing Time:  A full episode is at about 3-4 hours of editing time now (roughly) as opposed to my original 8-10 hours when I first started.  I'm getting much better at identifying visual opportunities to edit instead of having to listen directly to the audio.

Organic Reach:  I've spent much more time trying to improve my organic reach through interacting with other accounts on Twitter and Instagram,.  Not only have I been increasing visibility for my channel, but I've also learned about some other great games and creators!  In addition, I've connected with designers, publishers, and artists that I've been able to talk to on the show.

Improving Content:  My focus has shifted towards providing updates on my shelf of shame count which was the entire reason I started doing the podcast.  This also lightens my review load from my previous 3 to 2, and more "first thoughts" at the start of the show.  We've been having some wonderful interviews with people in the industry on the show that have such interesting stories, the content really has been taking care of itself.

Due to the pandemic, we've needed to record remotely.  The biggest drawback that this has caused is a lack of visual cues which affect our ability to time our comments properly, a fact that hadn't dawned on me previously.  Aaron's recommendation to us was to use video while we recorded, which we did in our latest episode.  It definitely helped out!   We put our hands up when we wanted the other to pause so we could make a point which improved our cadence and felt more like a natural discussion.

So in summary...it's been a great journey.  I feel absolutely more at ease, confident, and comfortable in producing the podcast.  It doesn't feel like a burden anymore and I'm excited for every episode to release to the public.  I'm producing it for the right reasons...to build community, to connect with other hobbyists, and to tell stories.

I really have to thank Aaron for his time and exceptional mentorship during the program and the organizers (especially Grace and Mike).  It takes a lot of personal time that could be spent doing other things to mentor someone instead.  That is absolutely one of my favorite parts of this community...the willingness for so many people to help each other.  We need more of that in the world and I'm incredibly happy to know that there's so much of it in the hobby that I love.

-Arwen

Podcast: http://www.anchor.fm/cardboardtime
Instagram & Twitter: @cardboard_time

Comments